Teachers and principals must:
- be familiar with the school’s first aid procedures
- observe their duty of care to students by providing first aid treatment within the limits of their skill, expertise, training and responsibilities.
Schools support first aid by:
- ensuring the school's first aid needs are met
- asthma kits
- first aid rooms
- major first aid kits
- portable first aid kits
- blood spills and bleeding students
- syringe disposal/injuries.
Note: Where possible, first aid should only be provided by staff who have been designated as the first aid providers. However, in an emergency, other staff may be required to help within their level of competence.
Schools can also contact NURSE-ON-CALL (on 1300 60 60 24) in an emergency. NURSE-ON-CALL provides immediate, expert health advice from a registered nurse and is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week from any land line in Victoria for the cost of a local call see: NURSE-ON-CALL.
The policies within this section are: