Student Pregnancy and Parenting
From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
Purpose of this policy
To ensure schools support pregnant and parenting students.
Students who are pregnant or parenting:
- have the right to continue schooling
- must provide a medical certificate after 34 weeks stating they are fit to attend school.
Schools and principals can make local decisions to support students to continue their schooling.
This table describes how schools should support students to continue their schooling and remain connected to education.
respond to the student’s capacity to balance:
- out of class commitments.
use targeted funds such as Managed Individual Pathways (MIPs) to tailor programs and resources to individual student’s needs.
See: Student Resource Package within Related policies
explain the options and flexibility for continuing education, including
- Distance Education Centre Victoria
- VCE (can be studied over three years)
- VET in VCE
- part-time apprenticeships
See: Selective Entry within Related policies