School Nurses & First Aid Coordinators
From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
Purpose of this policy
To outline the role of school nurses and first aid coordinators.
School nurses or first aid coordinators undertake a range of responsibilities including:
- taking a lead role in supporting teachers and principals in health support planning
- having knowledge of:
- all students with a support or management plan
- the first aid response noted in the plans
- ensuring that student’s emergency contact details are up to date
- ensuring all medications supplied by the student are within their use-by date
- working with staff to conduct regular:
For more information about occupational health and safety, see:
Health, Safety and WorkSafe
- reviews of management strategies
- risk assessments
- develop strategies to raise awareness in the school community about health and safety issues.
Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004