From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. This page is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
Purpose of this topic
To list the dental services available to school children.
School Dental Services
The school dental service:
- provides dental care:
- for all primary school children
- for children in years 7 and 8 whose families have health concession cards
- at either a mobile van or community dental clinic
- made available once every 12 to 24 months, depending on treatment needs
- by a dental therapist working under supervision of dentists
- can provide resources to teachers for planning and conducting dental health education at school
- requires parents/guardians to sign a consent form before any dental examination.
Costs of school dental services:
- there is no charge for emergency treatment of primary school children
- there is no charge for children of families with a health concession card.
- a small fee applies to children whose families do not hold a health concession card. There is a maximum charge per family per year.
See: Other resources
Youth Dental Program
The Youth Dental Program uses community dental clinics to provide free dental treatment:
- for dependants of health concession card holders in Years 9 to 12 aged 14 to 17
- for dependants of health concession card holders aged 14 to 17 not attending school
- check-ups and advice
- sealants to prevent decay
- cleaning and fillings
- once every 12 to 24 months, depending on treatment needs.
Special needs student
Dental Health Services Victoria has two special services mobile units offering free general dental care for students:
- with physical or intellectual disabilities
- attending special development schools in the metropolitan and rural areas, every one to two years.
Emergency dental service
The Royal Dental Hospital:
- assesses whether emergency dental care is required, generally within 24 hours of contacting dental staff (during business hours)
- provides emergency care from:
- 5.30 pm to 9.15 pm weekdays
- 8.45 am to 9.15 pm on weekends and public holidays.