From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. This page is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
Young people will live and work in a globalised, internationally focussed world. They need to be equipped to participate and thrive in a society and economy that is increasingly connected to the rest of the world and to take responsibility as global citizens. This can be achieved by developing their:
- ability to communicate effectively across cultures and boundaries
- knowledge about the world and our interdependence
- ability to speak a second or third language.
The Department supports schools to internationalise by providing advice and resources on offering overseas learning experiences for students, teachers and principals, developing sister school relationships, supporting language learning and welcoming international students to our schools. The Department also supports innovation and the sharing of good practice in internationalising education. These activities support language programs in schools and the use of ICT to connect, communicate and collaborate across the globe as active global citizens.
The Department holds a number of international education events throughout the year for principals, teachers and students, for more information, see: News and Events
In this section
- School Practice – Information about the key ways to enhance international education in schools including creating a whole-school approach and involving community support as well as a range of examples and case studies.
- Overseas Learning Experiences – Information on how Victorian teachers, students and schools can be involved in overseas learning experiences including exchanges with schools overseas and hosting international delegations.
- Sister Schools – Outlines the benefits students and schools get from being involved in a sister school relationship and provides guides on how to establish one.
- Languages Support – Information for schools on Languages Assistants Programs and how Schools can apply to be involved in the program.
- International School Students in Victoria – Information and resources for schools about international students studying in Victoria as well as hosting short term study tours for international students.
- Partnerships – Details the range of partners and types of partnerships the Department is engaged in, internationally and locally, to advance international education in Victoria.
For more information on multicultural and languages education, see:
- Languages (Other Than English) − supports the teaching of a second language to all primary and secondary school students.
- Multicultural Education − provides a range of useful information and resources for school leaders, teachers and parents regarding multicultural education in Victorian government schools.
- Studies of Asia − the studies of Asia program embeds the study of history, geography, literature, popular culture and traditional arts of the countries of Asia within the domains of Humanities, English and The Arts
- English as a Second Language (ESL) provides information about the range of services and resources available to the teachers and parents of ESL students in Victoria.
- Languages and Multicultural Education Resource Centre (LMERC) − provides information for teachers, educators and pre-service teachers on the resources and facilities offered by the centre.
Department of Education and Training
CRICOS Provider Code: 00861K