Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Conveyance Allowance

The conveyance allowance is a form of financial assistance for parents/carers to transport children to and from school in rural and regional Victoria. Allowances are available for public transport, private car and private bus.

In some locations, students are unable to access free school buses. In these instances, students may receive a conveyance allowance to assist with travel costs.

To be eligible a student must:

  • Attend their closest government or non-government school/campus, appropriate to their year level, at which admission is permissible, and is located outside the Melbourne metropolitan conveyance boundary
  • Reside 4.8km or more by the shortest practicable route from that school/campus attended (government and non-government students) and;
  • Reside within the Designated Transport Area (DTA) for the government specialist school attended (government students only)
  • Attend their nearest appropriate non-government specialist school (non-government students only)
  • Attend their nearest recognised special setting including:
      • Deaf facilities
    • English Language schools/centres
    • Re-engagement centres
    • Secondary Teaching Units

Payment amounts

Depending on how a student travels to school, an eligible student may be granted a conveyance allowance based on:

  • The least expensive public transport fares; and/or
  • A distance based allowance when travel is by private car and/or private bus.

To determine a student’s eligibility for a conveyance allowance and payment amounts, see:

For Parents/Guardians/Carers:

If students are eligible, parents will need to complete and lodge a relevant application form at their child's school. Application forms can be downloaded, see:

Student conveyance application forms

For Schools:

Key Dates

Schools are required to submit conveyance claims to the Department each term using the online Student Conveyance Allowance System (SCAS).

Term claim closing dates are:

Claim period

Claim submission closing date

Estimated pay run date

Term 4, 2014 school year



Term 1



Term 2



Term 3



Term 4 ​

27/11/2015 11/12/2015​

A small number of interstate schools, teaching units and English Language outposts are unable to be provided with access to SCAS and should continue to use the relevant claim spread sheet. Claim forms can be downloaded, see:

Further information

Enquiries in relation to eligibility for a conveyance allowance should be addressed by the school in the first instance. 

If enquiries cannot be resolved at school level, please contact the Family Payments Unit (FPU) at:  

For information on the Student Allowance Conveyance System (SCAS), see: Student Conveyance Allowance System (SCAS)

For more information on the Victorian Public Transport Concession Card, see: Public Transport Victoria's (PTV) Travelling with Student Concessions

Related policies

  • School bus network
  • Travel to specialist schools

For more information, see: Student Transport

Related Legislation

  • Education and Training Reform Regulations 2007