Scientific Procedures Premises Licence

From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.

For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA

​Requirements for obtaining a licence

QUICK TIP: Before a school uses animals for teaching purposes, it needs to be covered by a Scientific Procedures Premises Licence.

Schools that use animals to teach scientific concepts are included in the definitions of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986  and require a Scientific Procedures Premises Licence (SPPL). 

Under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Regulations 2008 for a school/sector/governing body to obtain an SPPL, they must first establish (or have access to) an Animal Ethics Committee and follow the Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes 8th edition 2013.

The Victorian Schools Animal Ethics Committee (VSAEC) has been established to help all Victorian schools comply with relevant legislation in the responsible care for animals used in teaching. VSAEC is available to all Government, Catholic and Independent primary and secondary schools statewide.

Government schools

Only one SPPL is required for all schools within the Department of Education and Training, which is one legal entity. 

This SPPL is maintained by the Department. There is no need for Government schools to apply.

Catholic and Independent schools

Catholic and Independent schools are required to individually apply for a licence, free of charge, before they can use animals for teaching.

SPPL application forms are available from the Department of Environment and Primary Industries

Once an SPPL has been obtained from the Department of Primary Industries schools are then required to send a copy of their licence to to be registered for use of the Care and Use of Animals Approval and Reporting System. 

Confirmation of registration will be sent to schools at which point they can access the system using their Edumail (or Eduweb) account details to log on, see: How to Use the Approval and Reporting System

More information

For more information see: