From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. This page is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
Enrolling your child in a Victorian government secondary school is a straightforward process. If your child is moving from a Victorian government primary or secondary school to another Victorian secondary government school you will be asked to:
- check and confirm the personal and health information you provided at the previous school to make sure it is accurate and up to date OR
- fill out a new enrolment form.
Information required includes:
- evidence of your child's date of birth (if they were not born in Australia, a passport or travel document such as a visa)
- your contact, phone and address details, and that of any other parent, guardian and/or carer names and contact details of emergency contacts
- health and welfare information
- information about the language/s your child speaks and hears at home
To find and contact a school, see:
Find an Early Childhood Service or School
Changing schools is a big step for most children. They are leaving behind established relationships with the friends and teachers at their current school and entering a new and unfamiliar environment.
Whether your child is moving from primary to secondary school within Victoria, from another state or from overseas, it is useful for the new school to see school reports and examples of your child’s work from their previous school. This will help the new secondary school to do all they can to make the transition as smooth as possible for your child.
Year 7 placement process
Once you have decided which school you wish your child to attend for Year 7, an Application for Year 7 Placement form must be filled out and returned to the Year 6 Coordinator at your school.
If your child attends a non-government primary school, and you have decided to enrol them in Year 7 at a Government school, you should follow the same process and return the application to the Year 6 coordinator at your own school.
Although Year 7 enrolments are determined by secondary schools, all communication regarding the Year 6 to Year 7 transition process must be in written form and lodged through your primary school until the Year 7 placement is confirmed.
More information on transitions can be found on these pages: