Raising Concerns

From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.

For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA

The partnership between the home and school plays an important part in your child’s education. Positive communication and confidence are critical factors in supporting this relationship. Teaching and learning works best when parents and teachers talk to each other and work together to solve any problems.

The school should always be your first point of contact if you have any concerns about your child’s education.

1. Contact the school

It is best to discuss your concerns with your child’s teacher first. Either call them or make an appointment to meet to discuss the issue in detail. Most problems can be solved this way.

  • Plan what you will say so you can clearly explain what the problem is. You might want to take some notes to help you.
  • Have some ideas about how the problem could be resolved realistically. Working with your child’s teacher can clarify the situation and identify ways your concerns can be addressed.
  • If you need an interpreter, the school can arrange one  – please ask beforehand.
  • Staying calm and clear about your concern helps you and school staff to discuss the situation and settle on an option or resolution that supports your child’s education.

If you still have a concern after talking to your child’s teacher or if your concern is about the conduct of a member of staff, or another aspect of the school that is impacting on your child, you may want to speak to the assistant principal or principal.

The assistant principal or principal will need time to discuss your concern with relevant staff; you can contact the school for progress updates. Your enquiry or concern will be managed in accordance with the parent complaints policy and processes of the Department. 

2. Contact the regional office

If your issue is not resolved at the school level and you require further assistance contact the community liaison officer at your Regional Office.

You will usually be asked to submit your complaint in writing.  

3. Contact the central office

If the matter remains unresolved after discussions with your regional office, you can submit your complaint in writing to the Deputy Secretary, Regional Services Group.
You may lodge a written description of your concern/complaint and the steps you have taken to achieve an outcome to:
Deputy Secretary, Regional Services Group
c/o  Manager, School Operations and Governance Unit
Regional Monitoring and Support Division
GPO Box 4367, Melbourne VIC 3001
Email: community.stakeholders@edumail.vic.gov.au
Fax: (03) 9637 2180

More information

Parent Complaints General Information (pdf - 375.66kb)- a guide for parents, carers and guardians outlining the complaints process in Government schools- a guide for parents, carers and guardians outlining the complaints process in Government schools.
Talking to your Child’s Teacher  - information on the types of discussions you might have with your child's teacher and how to prepare for them.
Parent Complaint Form (pdf - 111.93kb) - the Department's complaint form helps you to put together all the information you need to submit a complaint in writing.