Learning During the School Holidays
From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
- Supporting your child’s learning at home can continue throughout the school holidays.
- There are many fun activities at home and around Victoria that can help your child learn while enjoying this time away from school.
- See if the before and after school care at your child’s school is offering any holiday activities for your child’s age group.
- Check with your local library for children’s activities scheduled during the school holidays.
- Check with your local council for school holiday activities for your child’s age group.
- Consider allowing your child to choose what they want to do for one day during the school holidays and then make that day a special one just for them.
- Spend the day cooking with your child to help with their reading, maths and science skills.
- Organise a craft day with your child. You could make birthday or Christmas cards, paint or create simple friendship bands with a mixture of buttons and big beads.
- Grandparents are wonderful resources. Your child could stay with them for some of the school holidays and they could help extend your child’s vocabulary skills by telling family stories.
- Help your child make a cubby house outside or inside with cushions and spare blankets under a table or a bed.
- Hold a treasure hunt. You could hide toys, books or treats all over the house and garden and let your child search for them to discover the treasures you've hidden.
- Melbourne Zoo Kids Go Wild – Melbourne Zoo's school holiday program is back, bigger and better than ever with Kids Go Wild. Enjoy an action packed day (from 8.30am to 3.30pm) visiting secret areas of the Zoo, meeting animals up close, chatting to zookeepers, taking part in craft and games, and having fun with other kids!
- Visiting the NGV with Kids – find many ways of exploring the National Gallery of Victoria and looking at art with children.
- Victoria Online’s School Holiday Activities – includes a range of activities you might consider to entertain your child with over the school holiday period.