Support Following an Emergency or Natural Disaster
From Term 1 2017, Victorian government and Catholic schools will use the new Victorian Curriculum F-10. Curriculum related information is currently being reviewed and may be subject to change.
For more information on the curriculum, see:
The Victorian Curriculum F–10 - VCAA
There are a range of resources available to help you support your child if they are effected by an emergency or natural disaster.
Disasters and emergencies place children in a state of emotional turmoil in which moods and thoughts change rapidly. It is common for children to experience physical symptoms such as sleeping difficulties, tummy upsets and loss of energy.
These are normal reactions and the way our bodies naturally respond to significant levels of stress. The immediate effects of stress should not necessarily be treated as an illness, but as a normal part of the healing process, requiring time and the support of others.
More information and support services
- Parentline or 13 22 89 - a state-wide telephone counselling service for parents and carers of children aged from birth to eighteen years
- Kids Helpline or 1800 55 1800 - a free, confidential and anonymous, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25
- Kids Life– information to empower and support parents
- Lifelineor 131 114 - a 24 hour telephone counselling service offering care in times of crisis
- Early Childhood Australia- a childhood advocacy organisation acting in the interests of young children, their families and those in the early childhood field
- Parent Link– a website that aims to increase parents' confidence and skills by supporting and linking them with a network of information, ideas and community services
- Raising Children Network- information to help parents with the day-to-day decisions of raising children and also parents and carers look after their own needs
- Australian Child and Adolescent Trauma, Loss and Grief Network – a network that aims to promote understanding of child and adolescent trauma, loss and grief
- Skylight - a New Zealand organisation that gives specialised support to children, young people and their families through change, loss, trauma and grief - whatever the cause.