An employee who has attained the age of fifty-five years may elect to retire.
Employees should provide formal written notification of their retirement with the following minimum period of notice:
- Principal Class employees: 12 weeks (or such other period as agreed in writing by both parties);
- Victorian Public Service employees : 4 weeks (or such other period as agreed by both parties);
- All other employees: 2 weeks.
Unless otherwise agreed by the principal or manager (or, in the case of a principal, the Regional Director), withdrawal of a retirement will not be accepted after the date of receipt of this formal written notification.
In addition to this formal notification employees are encouraged to indicate informally their intention to retire as early as possible to assist in timely workforce planning. Employees may vary their retirement intentions at any time prior to providing formal written notification.
A letter of retirement should include:
- The hour and date of the proposed last day of duty.
- The date from, and inclusive of which, the retirement is intended.
- A private address to which correspondence may be sent (if different to that recorded on the payroll).
VPS employees should use the form available under 'Other Resources' below.
Back to top
The Department holds corporate membership with National Seniors Australia which entitles employees to attend free pre-retirement planning seminars and access to financial, investment, tax and social security advice. For more information, see: National Seniors Australia (www.nationalseniors.com.au).
Back to top
Procedures & Forms
back to top