The WCO network is a group of staff who have volunteered to be a point of contact for colleagues experiencing harassment, discrimination, bullying or victimisation. The network contributes to the Department’s commitment to a respectful and equal opportunity workplace – one that strives towards everyone having the right to be treated with respect and a responsibility to act respectfully towards colleagues. The WCO network provides valuable support across the Department, contributing to a safe and productive workplace where staff are treated fairly and with respect.
Fundamental to a respectful workplace culture is an effective system to deal with concerns or issues of inappropriate behaviour. The WCO a fellow staff member is a useful point of contact in that system when employees are unsure of what they can do when they experience harassment, discrimination, bullying or victimisation.
Any WCO in the network can be contacted for a confidential discussion, and they can be contacted at any time. The flow chart below shows a useful way of using the support of a WCO as part of the available options.
How a WCO can assist you
A WCO can assist staff who have general enquiries or concerns about workplace conduct by:
- providing information, guidance and support on options to resolve issues and explain choices to prevent issues before they reach escalation point
- outlining Departmental policies, processes and principles
- refering staff to the Department’s key support services, both internally and externally (e.g., Employee Assistance Program (EAP))
- guiding them to explore other options, if they are not able to solve their issue or manage the situation (e.g., steps to take in formalising a complaint, or engaging formal resolution processes).
WCOs are represented in central offices and the regions. Any WCO across the network can be contacted – they do not have to be from the same location or work group. A list of available Workplace Contact Officers is available under Contact and Other Information below.
Becoming a WCO
We are interested in hearing from anyone who would like to join the WCO network. Please contact the People and Culture Division or submit an expression of interest to the People Matter mailbox.
- WCO Role description (WORD)
- Expression of Interest (EOI) process (WORD)
- Expression of Interest (EOI) application form (WORD)
Contact and Other Information
- Available Workplace Contact Officers (WORD)
- Key support services available inside and outside the Department (WORD)
Contact People and Culture by email: firstname.lastname@example.org