The following initiatives are available to assist principals attract, recruit and retain teaching staff.
- Teaching Scholarship Scheme: provides financial incentives to final year student teachers and new graduates to take up employment in schools with priority vacancies.
- Career Change Program: enables non-teaching professionals to undertake teacher education while employed as supervised trainee teachers.
- Maths and Science Graduate Scholarship: A number of scholarship recipients have completed their teacher education course and are now available to commence their teaching careers. Recipients available for employment are progressively publishing their availability to principals. Principals are encouraged to consider advertising vacancies to attract these new graduates. Additional scholarship benefits are available on employment
- Special Education Scholarship: provides scholarships for the Department's teachers to complete endorsed special education qualifications.
- Student Teacher Practicum: provides student teachers with financial incentives to undertake placements in rural and outer metropolitan schools.
- Graduate Retention Incentives Program: provides retention incentives to teacher graduates in priority rural schools over a four year period.
For information for prospective teachers see: Teaching Careers (www.teaching.vic.gov.au)
back to top