The provision of first aid facilities includes the provision of first aid kits, trained first aid officer(s) and, if required, a first aid room(s). Each workplace will have different first aid requirements which need to be determined through a consultative risk assessment process involving Health and Safety Representatives (HSR) and employees.
Information on First Aid kits, First Aid rooms and the training requirements of First Aid Officers is available from the WorkSafe Compliance Code – First Aid in the Workplace.
Where/when would these issues be relevant?
The adequacy of the first aid provision at your location is something that must be reviewed at least annually. The needs may change if employees or students numbers change significantly for instance. The restocking of the first aid kits is the responsibility of the first aid officer and should be a part of the planned and scheduled workplace inspections.
What do I need to do?
- Undertake a risk assessment of the first aid requirements at your workplace in consultation with HSRs and employees;
- Implement the necessary First Aid requirements;
- Review the DEECD Student Safety and Risk Management document in relation to First Aid requirements for school excursions and swimming and water safety programs;
- Ensure that employees know the whereabouts of first aid kits and officers through information on notice boards and the provision of visible signage;
- Ensure that First Aid information is included in any induction of new employees and students;
- Ensure that First Aid information is given to any contractors who come on site;
- Ensure that First Aid Officers are trained in a DEECD approved accredited training program;
- Document all injuries requiring first aid treatment and investigate to identify hazards to prevent reoccurrence; and
- Report serious incidents/injuries to WorkSafe when necessary.
Legislation, Guidance and Codes of Practice
Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004
Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2007
WorkSafe Compliance Code – First Aid in the Workplace
First Aid and Infection Control (PDF - 256Kb)
Guidelines for Hepatitis (PDF - 246Kb)
First Aid Risk Assessment (Word - 435Kb)
First Aid Summary Sheet (Word - 412Kb)
School Policy and Advisory Guide
OHS Advisory Service on 1300 074 715
DEECD Regional OHS/WorkSafe Advisors
Department of Health Victoria - The Blue Book- Guidelines for the Control of Infectious Diseases