ECIS Professionals

This page gives a brief description of the different professionals who may work with your child:

  • Audiologist - An audiologist tests children's hearing. This may be necessary to make sure your child can hear well enough to learn to speak and understand language. Audiologists have special methods of testing the hearing function of very young children and children with other handicaps. If a child is found to be deaf, the audiologist may work with the ear specialist to improve the child's hearing. Sometimes the audiologist will fit your child with a hearing aid and help you to teach your child to use the hearing aid.
  • Educational Advisers - An educational adviser provides a developmental assessment for each child and monitors the child's development over time and discusses long-term implications of developmental delay and impact of learning problems with families. An educational adviser also provides individual and group educational programs over all areas of development, general parenting advice and assistance and support to generic services.
  • Special Education Teacher - A special education teacher works in a variety of settings such as kindergartens, day care centres and play groups. A special education teacher will plan individual programs for children, families and teachers. A special education teacher will also provide valuable advice when your child is moving to kindergarten or school.
  • Occupational Therapist - An occupational therapist assesses and implements programs to assist children's fine motor skills, gross motor skills and visual perception. They aim to maximise a child's independence in every day activities, such as eating, dressing and toileting. The occupational therapist provides advice and assistance when equipment is required for the child to maximise their functioning.
  • Parent Adviser for the Hearing Impaired - A parent adviser for the hearing impaired provides information about hearing loss and management of hearing aids, information on language and speech development and methodologies and programs to enhance speech and language development.
  • Paediatrician - A paediatrician is a doctor specialising in children's health and development. Paediatricians work closely with other professionals and can refer you to other specialists when necessary.
  • Physiotherapist - A physiotherapist is trained to provide assessment and implement programs to support skills development in areas of movement, posture and balance. They assess the child's gross motor needs and devise a program on the individual needs of the child. The physiotherapist will help you to understand your child's development and teach you how to encourage normal movement and development.
  • Psychologist - A psychologist assesses the child's developmental and behavioural needs, and develops and implements individual/ group programs for children with specific developmental needs or delays. A psychologist offers behaviour management strategies to help improve the social, emotional and overall development of the child. This is done in partnership with the family according to their needs. The psychologist also provides parenting education in a group setting based on family need.
  • Speech Pathologist - A speech pathologist works with children who have difficulties talking, understanding speech, stuttering, eating, drinking, swallowing and drooling. A speech pathologist helps you with ways to encourage your child's speech and language development. A speech pathologist may suggest other means of communication, such as signs or a communication board.
  • Therapist - A therapist works with you and your child, either individually or in small groups, to enhance your child's development and helps you to help your child learn the practical skills needed for living.