Discussions with parents about their child's growth are just as important as correctly measuring children.
Maternal and Child Health Nurses are well regarded by parents and the broader community for their expertise in growth monitoring of children from birth to school entry.
Sensitivity in discussions about child feeding and growth are used, irrespective of the growth chart used.
Best practice growth monitoring requires:
- accurate measurements
- high quality, calibrated equipment
- accurate plotting
- a working understanding of the chart used
- correct interpretation of a child's pattern of growth
- sensitivity in discussions about child's growth with the parent/carer and agreeing on actions
- referral for medical assessment if concerns arise
- ongoing monitoring and follow-up as required.