If your child will turn six years of age (compulsory school age) before or while attending their first or second year of funded kindergarten, your child must be exempted from attending school. As the parent/guardian, you are responsible for seeking this exemption from the Department.
For information about exemption from school to attend a second year of funded kindergarten, see: Does My Child Need a Second Year of Kindergarten?
School Exemption Process for Children Attending Their First Year of Kindergarten
If your child will turn six before or during their first funded year of kindergarten, you may apply for an exemption from school if one or more of the following circumstances apply:
- your family has moved from interstate or overseas where the school entry age criteria are different from those in Victoria
- your child's early education has been delayed due to chronic illness, disability or development delay
- your child is a refugee/asylum seeker who has suffered trauma and would benefit significantly from a year of kindergarten before enrolling in school
- your child has not been able to access kindergarten previously due to transient family circumstances, or
- other special considerations.
You are required to obtain written confirmation from a relevant professional (e.g. kindergarten teacher, medical practitioner or an allied health professional) verifying the reason for exemption and why it is in your child's best interest to attend kindergarten rather than commence at school. A copy of this written evidence and any other written advice that supports the child's exemption from school must be attached to an Exemption from school due to attendance in a kindergarten program form.
This exemption request is to be submitted to the Area Executive Director of the relevant Department of Education and Training regional office by 1 November in the year before the child turns six.
You will receive written confirmation of the Department's decision following consideration of the request.
You must provide a copy of the Department's decision to the child's kindergarten service as evidence of eligibility for kindergarten per capita funding.
Please note that you have the option to withdraw the school exemption request.
Exemption from school due to attendance in a kindergarten program (pdf - 364.48kb)
For more information about the school exemption process, please contact your local Department regional office