Say goodbye to school, say hello to On Track.
What is On Track?
On Track is a Victorian Government initiative which surveys school leavers who have left school in the last six months to find out if they are on track to a bright future.
On Track destination data provides a comprehensive picture of what happens to young people after they leave school. This assists the Victorian Government to improve school, career, local job and training services. It also helps to develop the support available to young people to ensure they have access to the guidance and skills they need to achieve their education and employment goals.
When is the survey conducted?
The On Track collection is conducted from late April to mid July by the Social Research Centre, on behalf of the Department of Education and Training.
School leavers from all school sectors and providers across Victoria are invited to participate in the survey. Consent to participate is required and this is usually obtained as part of the enrolment process with the VCAA to enrol in a VCE or equivalent unit.
Students who consent to participate in the survey receive a letter providing them with a username and password to access the online survey. All school leavers who complete the survey online are entered into a draw to win a prize.
How long does the survey take?
The survey takes between 5-10 minutes to complete.
Why is the survey conducted?
Since its inception in 2003, over 500,000 school leavers have participated in the On Track surveys, providing valuable insights into their post-school destinations and pathways.
The On Track survey seeks to:
- offer a consistent and comprehensive approach to monitoring the transitions of school leavers
- report the information to schools and other education providers, organisations concerned with assisting young people, policymakers, parents and students
- provide detailed analysis of transition experienced by different groups of leavers
- enable education providers to use the findings to monitor and improve their programs
- provide a referral service for school leavers who appear to be experiencing difficulties in the transition process.
For more information on the On Track surveys and the data reports available: