Overview of Teaching Academies
The Victorian Government is committed to improving teacher quality at all stages of a teacher's career. In 2015, 12 Teaching Academies of Professional Practice were established to improve initial teacher education.
Teaching Academies are partnerships of a cluster of schools with one or more universities. Teaching Academies adopt a partnership model to deliver innovative and effective initial teacher education.
The Teaching Academies are based on the same operating model as the School Centres for Teaching Excellence (SCTE) pilot and adopt many of the features of a site-based training model. Through strong partnerships, Teaching Academies focus on improving the quality of pre-service teacher education by linking theory and practice in innovative ways.
The 12 Teaching Academies involve schools from rural, regional and metropolitan areas across Victoria and include primary, secondary, specialist, government, Catholic and independent school settings.
The initiative aims to improve teacher preparation and professional learning in schools by building stronger partnerships between schools and universities.
Key objectives are to:
- improve initial teacher education and the capacity of pre-service teachers to enter the profession
- immerse pre-service teachers in school environments, enabling them to exhibit leading professional practice, and better integrate theory with practice
- increase the capacity of schools to provide effective practicum to pre-service teachers
- strengthen the professional development of current teachers through stronger school-university partnerships
- influence university course design and delivery of pre-service education by working closely with pre-service education providers
- provide targeted mentor professional development opportunities for existing teaching staff
- establish research partnerships to increase the knowledge base about effective initial teacher education.
The 12 Teaching Academies are:
Bendigo, La Trobe University Academy
Rural Victoria, Federation University Academy
Geelong, Deakin University Academy
Melbourne, Deakin University Academy
Melbourne, University of Melbourne Academy
North East, University of Melbourne Academy
North Melbourne, RMIT University Academy
North Melbourne, Victoria University Academy
North West, Australian Catholic University Academy
Point Cook, Victoria University Academy
South East, Monash University Academy
Warrnambool, Deakin University Academy
School Centres for Teaching Excellence (SCTE)
The School Centres for Teaching Excellence pilot commenced in 2010. SCTEs were established that involved 65 Victorian government schools, six universities, and 1000 pre-service teachers.
An external evaluation indicated that the SCTEs improved teacher preparation and professional learning in participating schools by building stronger partnerships between schools and universities. SCTE explored new options for the delivery of pre-service teacher education and ways in which pre-service teachers could be better immersed in effective professional practice.
For more information, see: School Centres for Teaching Excellence