The Victorian Deaf Education Institute (VDEI) is the centre of expertise in deaf education in Victoria. Through VDEI, the Department is committed to improving educational outcomes for deaf and hard of hearing children and young people from birth to 18 years throughout Victoria.
In partnership with schools, universities, early childhood and deafness professionals, VDEI achieves this by:
- delivering excellence in professional learning programs across the disciplines involved in deaf education
- facilitating research and innovation into best practice
- enabling improved access to learning through the latest technology based solutions, and
- strengthening networks for knowledge exchange and capacity building.
Professional learning program
VDEI offers high quality training and development which supports the development of professionals and support staff working with deaf and hard of hearing children across a range of educational settings. This includes those professionals supporting deaf and hard of hearing children with additional needs.
Each year VDEI enables hundreds of professionals including mainstream teachers, teachers of the deaf, audiologists, speech pathologists, psychologists, and speech and language support staff the opportunity to build their expertise in providing improved learning support to the 3000 Victorian school aged children and young people with a hearing loss.
The 2013 Professional Learning Program includes an International Speakers Program, a Masterclass Series, and an Online Learning Program, which enable Victorian education professionals the opportunity to enrich their skill base and teaching strategies.
For more information, see: Professional Learning
VDEI runs a research program to enable classroom innovation and evidence based practice. Evidence from the Victorian Deaf Education review and consultation with educators and the community has helped VDEI identify key priorities.
These will include:
- a focus on literacy and language development strategies
- an exploration of models of best practice in education service delivery
- an investigation into ways to improve students’ school completion rates and improved support into post school options.
For more information, see: Research
Innovation and technology
VDEI strengthens access for deaf students and education professionals to learning programs and curriculum through use of digital technology and a pilot program enabling real time captioning in classrooms.
For more information, see: Innovation and Technology
Victorian Deaf Education Institute
597 St Kilda Road, Melbourne
Tel: (03) 9032 6400
Fax: (03) 9032 6401
Postal address: Victorian Deaf Education Institute
PO Box 6307
St Kilda Road Central VIC 8008