The Victorian Young Leaders to China Program (VYLC) is a life-changing opportunity, where students live in and attend school in China. Comprising six weeks of intensive language and cultural learning, they will experience daily life as a Chinese student, and discover China’s thriving culture, from the traditional to the modern.
Information for parents and students
The VYLC Program is a world-class, six-week in-country immersion program for Year 9 students, designed to prepare them to live and work as citizens and future leaders in an inter-connected global community.
For Chinese language students, the immersive nature of the program accelerates their Chinese language proficiency. For all students the culturally rich program can have a transformative impact on their learning at home, and broaden their minds to a future career with an international focus.
Beyond study, students will get to explore the sights and sounds of China, encompassing both traditional and contemporary culture.
For students, a typical school week may include:
- Chinese language classes
- morning exercises
- cultural classes
- attending some selected local classes eg: maths, science, music, arts, P.E. etc.
- excursions to nearby attractions and cities.
By taking part in the program, students will return with a heightened appreciation of contemporary China, its culture and history, and its educational and political landscape. Past students have returned with greater confidence and developed a broader, international perspective on their future careers, with a particular focus on China and its potential.
Benefits for students include:
- improved language proficiency, including practical and conversational language
- greater aspiration to continue Chinese language studies through to the VCE
- intercultural understanding and sensitivity
- the laying of foundation skills for leaders of the future, including interpersonal skills, presentation skills and inspiring confidence and self-sufficiency in unfamiliar environments
- a real sense of achievement.
The VYLC Program, including all core program elements, is costed at $6,000* per student. These costs are funded through a co-contribution model, with the Department of Education and Training (the Department) contributing $3,000 per student.
The cost to parents/students is $3,000 per student. The entire $6,000 program cost is funded by the Department for students whose parent/guardian holds a current healthcare or pensioner concession card that lists the student by name. (Please note that fully funded places are capped at 25% of total places for the sister school partnership program.)
Any incidental costs (e.g. passports and spending money) are the responsibility of the participating students and teachers.
*Core program costs include:
- all travel arrangements, including return airfares, visas, and insurance for government schools
- accommodation, meals and activities organised by the Chinese partners
- student uniform and curriculum materials.
How to apply
Applications for the 2018 VYLC program are now closed.
For a program information brochure for parents and students, see:
Discover and share in the experience of previous VYLC program participants
To learn about the experiences of previous participants, see: