A strategy to ensure that all Koorie Victorians achieve their learning aspirations and realise the full benefits of the Education State reforms across early childhood, schools and further education.
Marrung is the Wemba Wemba word for the Murray Cypress pine tree, representing branches of education and knowledge. We thank the Wemba Wemba people for allowing the use of their language in the naming of this plan.
Victoria will be a State where the rich and thriving culture, knowledge and experience of our First Nations peoples are celebrated by all Victorians; where our universal service systems are inclusive, responsive and respectful of Koorie people at every stage of their learning and development journey; and where every Koorie person achieves their potential, succeeds in life, and feels strong in their cultural identity.
"The Victorian Government, through the Department of Education and Training, has worked with the Victorian Koorie community to develop Marrung. The Government has listened and has heard. Marrung sets out a 10 year vision and identifies the significant actions its achievement. From this plan there will be some ground-breaking change."
Victorian Aboriginal Education Association Incorporated
"Marrung is a long-term plan designed to achieve an aspirational vision to deliver the ambitious Education State targets and will underpin Victoria's strong and steadfast commitment to close the gap in educational outomes between Koorie and non-Koorie Victorians."
The Hon James Merlino
Minister for Education
Delivering the Education State to Koorie Victorians
We are establishing Victoria as the Education State – delivering excellence in outcomes and services for every child and every learner. The Education State is about giving every Victorian the opportunity to succeed in life, regardless of background, place or circumstance.
Marrung underpins the delivery of the Education State to Koorie learners by ensuring opportunities exist to secure the full benefits of Education State reforms for Koorie Victorians. It requires all services to embed Koorie aspirations and outcomes as core business, including early childhood services, schools and training providers.
Working in partnership with Koorie Victorians
Consistent with the principle of self-determination, Marrung has been developed with the Victorian Government's principal partner in Koorie education; the Victorian Aboriginal Education Association Incorporated (VAEAI), along with the Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) and Victorian Community Controlled Health Organisation (VACCHO). Strong partnerships with these organisations and with the Koorie community will be the foundation for the implementation and governance of Marrung.
Priority areas and actions
To achieve its vision, Marrung encompasses actions that aim to:
- Create a positive climate for learning and development where services demonstrate the highest levels of respect and inclusion and, as a result, Koorie children and learners of all ages feel strong in their identity within all services.
- Build community engagement in learning and development so that, through partnership and collaboration, services work together with Koorie people to find innovative ways to improve outcomes in local communities.
- Build a culture of professional leadership where success for Koorie Victorians is core business for all educational leaders.
- Achieve excellence in teaching, learning and development at all stages so that:
- young Koorie children are on track in their health, development and well-being, and their early learning experience sets them up for life
- Koorie students engage fully throughout their schooling years and gain the knowledge and skills to excel at Year 12 or its equivalent
- Koorie learners transition successfully into further education and employment, and have opportunities to access education at all stages of life
Annual Ministerial Roundtable
An annual ministerial Roundtable will be established to monitor the progress of Marrung against key targets and measures, and to identify and respond to emerging issues and priorities.
Alignment with other government initiatives
Marrung aligns with broader state and national strategies and frameworks designed to improve the lives of Koorie Victorians and their communities. These strategies and frameworks, along with the Education State reform agenda, inform the targets and measures under Marrung.
Documents for download
Who can I contact for more information?
Koorie Outcomes Division
The Department of Education and Training acknowledges and pays respects to Elders and all Victorian Aboriginal communities. We honour and respect Traditional Owners, past and present, and value the rich culture and history of the First Peoples of this land.