Partnership agreement with Municipal Association of Victoria
On 30 March 2018, the Secretary of the Department of Education and Training (DET) and the Chief Executive Officer of Municipal Association of Victoria (MAV), signed an agreement.
The agreement builds on mutual support and collaboration in order to improve outcomes for children, young people and their families, to help ensure that every Victorian is given the best learning and development experience, to make our state smarter, fairer and a more prosperous place.
It recognises the collaborative relationship between the Department and councils in the planning, development and provision of initiatives, infrastructure and services across early childhood, schools, TAFE and training.
See: DET MAV Partnership Agreement 2018-2023 (pdf - 1.45mb)
The agreement provides a formal set of high-level principles to guide the partnership between the Department and the MAV in its representation of local councils, committing both parties to:
- mutual understanding and respect of mandates and responsibilities
- transparency of financial relations, subject to relevant legislation and policies
- mutual support in representations to the Commonwealth
- awareness of synergies between DET, the MAV and councils
- sustaining and improving outcomes for children and families in all communities
- fostering of opportunities to work collaboratively, and transparent and timely communication and consultation.
Action plans are developed annually under the partnership agreement on a financial year basis. These are reviewed and updated throughout the year.
Achievements to date include:
- The Early Years Compact is a compact between DET, DHHS and local government (represented by MAV) 2017-2027 Supporting Children and Families in the Early Years was signed on 28 April 2017.
- Review of the Early Childhood Agreement for Children in Out of Home Care and subsequent improvements including the confirmation of Local Government positions to support the Agreement, and weekly notification of data.
- Development of the new MCH Memorandum of Understanding. See: Maternal and Child Health Memorandum of Understanding
- Joint advocacy on universal access to support continued Commonwealth funding for 15 hours of kindergarten funding.
- Representation on a variety of the Department’s governance groups including:
- Victorian Children’s Council
- DET Coleman Foundation Partnership Committee
- Early Years Compact Board and Compact Steering Group
- Marrung Central Governance Board
- New Technical Schools State-Wide Policy Implementation Panel
- Maternal and Child Health Expert Reference Group
- Children and Youth Implementation Working Group
- Early Childhood Development Advisory Group.
For further information see: Municipal Association of Victoria
Partnership agreement with the Victorian Community Sector
In July 2014, the Secretary of the Department and the CEO, Victorian Council of Social Service (VCOSS) signed the Department-Victorian Community Sector Partnership Agreement 2014-18, refreshing the 2010-2014 partnership agreement.
The partnership agreement recognises the community sector as an important partner to the Department in the development of policy, the delivery of services and the improvement of outcomes of all Victorians, particularly for those who are vulnerable or experiencing disadvantage.
Partnership Agreement between the Department and the Victorian Community Sector (pdf - 707.49kb)
It recommits the Department and the community sector to increased collaboration, consultation and engagement. The aims of the partnership agreement are achieved through annual action plans agreed to by the Department and VCOSS, who is responsible for furthering the partnership on behalf of the sector.
Some achievements to date include:
- the establishment of the Victorian community partnership governance group, which provides a forum for exchange of information on issues of mutual interest
- annual Victorian community sector roundtables
- the development of the Victorian community sector collaboration and consultation framework
- joint training for the Department, Department of Human Services, Department of Health and the community sector on effective partnering.
For more information, see:
Department-Victorian Community Sector Collaboration and Consultation Framework (pdf - 324.6kb)
Further information on the community sector
For more information about the Victorian Council of Social Service and its network of community sector organisations, see: Victorian Council of Social Service