The Secretary is directly responsible for management of the Department.
Gill Callister has dedicated her career to improving public policy and service delivery.
Gill Callister is Secretary of the Department (2015-present). As Secretary, Gill manages a $12 billion budget and leads 2,300 corporate staff to deliver and improve early childhood, school education, and vocational and higher education services across Victoria. She employs a further 55,000 staff in government schools.
Prior to joining the Department, Gill was the Secretary of the Victorian Department of Human Services (2009 -2014), where she was responsible for the delivery of child protection, disability, youth, housing and family violence services.
This followed a range of senior roles in the Victorian Public Service and a ten-year stint in the community sector working with children, young people and families.
Gill is President of the Institute of Public Administration Australia (Victoria). Her leadership in public policy was recognised in 2013 when she was named in the Australian Financial Review’s 100 Women of Influence, and received a Sir James Wolfensohn Public Service Scholarship to attend Harvard University’s Kennedy School of Government.
The seven Deputy Secretaries are directly responsible for each Group within our departmental structure:
- Policy Reform Group - Simon Kent
- Strategy and Performance Group - Katherine Whetton (Acting)
- Infrastructure and Finance Services Group - Jenny Atta
- People and Executive Services Group - Kate Rattigan (Acting)
- Early Childhood and School Education Group - Katy Haire
- Higher Education and Skills Group - Craig Robertson
- Regional Services Group - Bruce Armstrong (Acting)