Requests for Historical Records and Public Records

Departmental archives and records staff can only provide copies of records from certain closed schools. If the school is still open, please contact the school directly. For more information, see: Frequently Asked Questions - Accessing Victorian Government School Records

Matriculation, Higher School Certificate (HSC) and Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) results can be ordered from the Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority. For more information, see: Replacement Certificates and Results

It is important to note that the Archives and Records Management section of the Department can only provide photocopies of existing records. Archives and Records Management cannot provide replacement certificates.


The following information needs to be provided when requesting copies of records:

  • Your full name
  • Date of birth
  • Your address
  • Your phone number
  • Your full name when you were at school
  • Your address when you were at school (If known)
  • The name of your school
  • The type of records you are requesting eg. ‘Year 9 reports’, ‘Proof of enrolment’, etc.
  • The year(s) you attended the school.


This information can be emailed, faxed or mailed as below.


Phone: (03) 9637 3306 

Fax: (03) 9637 2860


Archives and Records Management
Department of Education and Training
GPO Box 4367
Melbourne VIC 3001 Australia

Important information: By making this request you are declaring that you are the person named in the request and, as such, are authorised to view the records.