The Department’s Performance and Evaluation Division (PED) is responsible for providing high quality evidence to support informed, confident decision making. It collects and integrates data to conduct sophisticated system analysis that informs strategy, policy development and investment decisions, and promotes a research and evaluation culture that involves working in partnership to investigate important questions and share evidence widely.
The Department publishes a wide variety of data in aggregated form. See for example:
- the Victorian Child and Adolescent Monitoring System (VCAMS) portal - see Research.
- Education content available on the DataVic website.
If the data set you seek has not been published, you can apply to PED to obtain it. Please fill out the data request form below and email it to email@example.com. To allow us enough time to assess and meet your request, it should be submitted well in advance of the date the data is needed.
Provision of data by PED will be in accordance with the terms of the PED Data Protocol (docx - 87.11kb)
Please note that PED will not always be able to provide the data set(s) you have requested. Reasons for non-provision may include:
- where the requested data set does not exist;
- where the data in the data set has been supplied to PED by a third party, or in circumstances of confidentiality;
- where a risk that the identity of individuals may be reasonably ascertained from a data set has been identified;
- where disclosure of the data contained in a data set is prohibited by law; or
- in the case of large and complex data requests, where it is not practicable to divert PED’s resources from its other operations to meet the request in the preferred time frame.
Occasionally a data request merits priority handling in exceptional circumstances. In this case a PED Priority Data Request Form (docx - 48.91kb) should accompany your data request form.
For information about conducting research in Victorian government schools or in early childhood settings, see Research.
Freedom of Information
For information about your right to access documents in the possession of the Department in accordance with provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 1982, see Freedom of Information.