Before commencing employment all prospective teachers and all teachers currently employed in Victorian primary, secondary and special education schools must be registered with the Victorian Institute of Teaching
To seek registration with the institute, you need to:
- be assessed as a fit and proper person
- provide certified evidence of all qualifications: a full transcript of studies is required, including a translation of any transcripts that are not in English.
To gain registration in Victoria with interstate or overseas qualifications, the institute must assess that you are appropriately qualified. If you have overseas qualifications the institute will also undertake an equivalence assessment of all the qualifications you present. If these qualifications are assessed as not equivalent to the requirements for teachers in Victoria, you will be advised which areas (e.g. practicum time and teaching methods) may need further study, and how to access appropriate courses or course units.
Australia’s official language is English and it is therefore a requirement that teachers who are registered to teach in Victorian schools must be competent in both English written and oral communication.
If you have not completed your teacher education qualifications at an Australian institution or in English, you will be required to undertake an English language test. You will not be required to undertake the test until all your qualifications have been assessed and you will then be advised if you need the test by the Victorian Institute of Teaching.
In these instances the institute will accept a certificate or statement in writing of achievement of either of the following:
- International Secondary Language Proficiency Rating (ISLPR) of Level 4 in each of the areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing.
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – Academic: Overall score of 7.5 with the following scores required in each of the skill areas: speaking 8.0, listening 8.0, reading 7.0 and writing 7.0.
- Professional English Assessment for Teachers (PEAT) test at Band A in each of the areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing.
Apply for Registration
Victorian Institute of Teaching – English language competency requirements